Monday, August 14, 2006

Originality - seems hard to come by lately, huh? If only we all had the courage to go through our day as a three-year old (minus the sassiness and whinies because then the world might self-destruct). How valuable the knowledge that we are beautiful, the courage to wear what we want to wear when we want to wear it, the freedom to sing out loud or dance or say what's on our mind, the innocence with no standards to live up to.
Okay, let me back up....

This is one of those moments, for those of you at LHBC, as Bro David said yesterday was a "No way" moment for me. Now, this is nowhere NEAR the same subject of racism - this is an everyday no way. I just thought I'd share in my incredulity!

Featured today on Talk of the Town - I know some of you are watchers - was a story about eyelash extensions - not the kind that comes in a set, but you can now apparently go to a salon and get individual synthetic eyelashes put on. Yep, one eyelash at a time glued onto an existing eyelash. The "problem" that encouraged the show's model to come in was that she was already coming in every TWO WEEKS to have her eyelashes PERMED and TINTED, but her eyelashes still just didn't look quite right. So, OBVIOUSLY she "HAD" to get the eyelash extensions. The model had her eyes taped down, and the lady doing the process said it is usually a two hour process depending on how many lashes you want. I missed if they said something about the price, and I looked up online and found a whole blog on this type of stuff. Here's what one woman said:

"Once women get over the amazement of my eyelash extensions, I am bombarded with questions about the process. Is it painful? No, not at all. You are required to sit still with your eyes closed for at least two hours--a nice little zen meditation except you awake with long, beautiful lashes. Is it expensive? Yes. We paid $250 for ours. Some practitioners charge as little as $75 but we wanted an absolute perfectionist so we paid more. How long does it last? Extensions begin falling out at the end of the second week, which is why you need to ... go back for touch ups every 2-3 weeks if you want your extensions to last. Are eyelash extensions for everyone? Not really, especially if you're a low maintenance, sporty gal. The lashes require a lot of attention. You don't want to sleep on them wrong and you can't get them wet the first two days. No mascara is allowed as well as any oil based makeup remover. But the good news is the lashes are so full and long that you will look fabulous without makeup."

Prices seemed to range from about $100 to $350 or so. And refills every two weeks are around $50 to even $150 or so!!! Here's another consumer:

"Help! I got eyelash extensions done 3 days ago and they are already falling out! I paid $350 thinking i was getting the best. I don't understand. My eyelashes were really short to begin with (that's why i got extensions) so i began to think thats why they are falling out...but then iread how people had no lashes at all and they work perfectly! I really need them refilled (and actually look good) by sept. 8th. Another thing is why do they hang so low in front of my eyes (they're always poking me!) And i can't curl them cause they'll break and i cant wear mascara cause they'll break. ANYONE just pleaseee help me out!"

There were all of these posts from women all over the country looking for salons that would do this process for them. There was even a post from someone in South Africa saying they were investigating the process. Apparently it started with - of all people - Paris Hilton. Enough said as far as I'm concerned.

Now I for one am not into big beauty procedures of any sort. For one, I'd much rather spend my money on other things, and I believe God would have me do the same. Two, I truly believe that one of the best ways I can glorify God, his creativity, and his power is to try and keep my body in the best, natural shape possible.

For those of you that know me, I've got some work to do on the "best shape" part. I'm finished nursing Everett now, so I'm planning on really concentrating on my own health this fall and hopefully getting into better shape - more on that later, I'm sure. But, I really think people's unique features, often features that people seek to hide, are what makes us interesting.

I can see the arguments of highlights, hair coloring, makeup, etc being used to enhance what you already have. I wear lip gloss and mascara to go out, and I'll wear blush in the winter when I look washed out. I know other people wear more because of various skin issues. I am all for undergarments that hold things in place. I'm even trying some "special" face wash and moisturizer right now from a main cosmetics company. It cost more than my oil of olay and regular soap, but the lady had asked and asked and they were having a sale - I finally gave in. It broke me out, but she said that happens the first couple of weeks because it's pulling all the bad stuff up from under your skin. Sounds crazy to me, but whatever.

It does really bother me though when "skin care salespeople" push erratically overpriced products under the guise of being "for your skin" when they are in pursuit of a car, a vacation, or whatever the promotion of their company of the month is. Now, I have friends that sell products from various major companies (BeautiControl, MaryKay, Arbonne, Avon, etc) and most are pretty respectful once I've said no. I don't have a problem with people having something to work for. I do dislike when the salepeople (or whatever their PC word is) have the wrong motives. My issue is with women preying on other women's insecurities of their skin not looking just right or not being healthy enough or AGH!!! using regular soap on your face (apparently a huge sin in the life of cosmetics). I understand people having problems and needing something to help. But, I find that in many cases, the people selling the products cannot look at my skin and tell me what's best or how to enhance this or that. Most of them have signed on because they want income they can get at home, and it promises new cars and exotic vacations. Which is fine, IF you have the passion to help people as your priority. I don't find that to be the case most of the time. Aside from that, I don't think anyone needs to spend $40 on a blush set or a "toner" to look beautiful. I truly appreciate natural beauty in people and hate to see it covered up with so much gunk! I just disagree! But, I am willing to agree to disagree on issues like these - to each her own.

But, paying $300 to put on eyelashes??? A) Who really notices your eyelashes that closely? Maybe not being a "makeup" kind of girl, I just don't get it. But, $300 on eyelashes??? And to have to go back and spend two hours every two weeks with your eyes taped down and pay $100 or so to refill them?? Every two weeks? NO WAY! but more importantly B) How does someone get to the point of feeling so badly about their own appearance that they've nitpicked down to their eyelashes aren't long enough? And, that it's somehow worth $300 plus around $150 a month to fix those horrible eyelashes. My goodness, I can only guess at the other procedures they have done.

Last but not least, and this has been said over and over, and I'll say it again - what in the WORLD are we teaching our young, impressionable teenage girls in this society?? I taught seventh grade girls last year and have tenth grade girls this year in connect groups. I've worked with youth at church since I was married, and I taught school for five years. My heart hurts to see the lengths some of them go to in order to look the part. They are so beautiful simply because of their youth, yet many of them can't see past what's not pasted onto their face.

All this to say that I really just encourage anyone reading to be yourself. Whether it be in how you fix your hair, what you wear on your face, your clothes, or the way you talk, walk, or laugh - be yourself! I know it's an easier message to preach than follow, but I think it is so much more freeing to just let go of all of those expectations and society's pre-determined standards. I think if there is anything I want to teach both my son and daughter, it's to be comfortable in their own skin. How to do that I'm not quite sure - I've got some time to figure it out, but I want to surround them with people who are confident with their own looks and personality as well.

I'll leave you with this: 1 Timothy 2:9-10 "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for a woman who PROFESS to worship God." Now, I have braids in my hair right now (and was thrilled to notice today that it is finally long enough to braid again). The point is not that it's unbiblical to want to look nice. The point is that we as women, as Christian women that is, should be more conscious of putting on love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control than we should of anything else. Don't try to gain respect, favor, or even self-esteem by your outside appearance. If you appear beautiful on the outside, please be beautiful on the inside as well. The best way to do that is spending time with Christ daily. Proverbs 31:30 "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."

I'm not speaking from a perspective that I have this all down, and I have plenty of work to do myself. Just an encouragement to us all, and a laugh at $350+ eyelashes. I'm sure others of you have different perspectives to share as well! Bring 'em!

Going to assess my measly eyelashes,
Sarah :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep preachin'! Debbie

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Hi Sarah!
I met you at the girl night out at the Melting Pot a few months ago. I too am in favor of just a little make up now and then. My mom always told me that I didn't need makeup to be beautiful. I just pray that I can teach both my son and daughter you do not need hundreds of dollars of product to "fit the part". Great post thanks!