Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Well, I made a California Roll today - nope, not a new recipe, not a dance move, and not a type of cigar. It's a traffic violation... yep, I rolled through a stop sign. I saw the cop turn around with his lights on and being the responsible citizen I am, I pulled over so that he could pass me and get those bad guys. And then he pulled over with me!!! I was like what the heck??? He said I ran the stop sign. I believed him, but it was a total shock to me. Luckily, I couldn't find my registration for a while and never did find my insurance card because this gave us time to shoot the breeze. He asked what I did, I said a teacher, he said he thought I was a teacher - just his intuition he said... okay. But anyway, he ended up I think getting tired of waiting for me to find my insurance, gave me the benefit of the doubt and let me off with a warning. This is in spite of my still IL driver's license as well which I told him we had just bought a new house - less than 30 days ago. He said that you now have TEN days to get your license changed. Seems to me that you'd have better things to do within ten days of moving here than to go wait four hours at the driver's license station... see my earlier post from 12/2... But, I got off with a warning. He was a very nice and respectful cop - not just because he let me off. He was really nice.

But, as I was driving home, I noticed I rolled through a stop sign! I caught myself afterwards and perhaps I do this more than I think. The cop acknowledged even he has done it, and it's an easy way to mess up. I told him I had made a mental stop, just not an actual car stop. He laughed and said, "Exactly." But, I am going to try and be more cautious of this!! :)

BTW... the cop called it a California Roll (I didn't ask why, just chuckled like I got the joke). Just wanted to clarify that wasn't a term I made up!! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did that once, however, I got a ticket and I was even crying!