Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Stay at Home Mom vs. The Working Mom, Part Three
HOME AT LAST!

When we moved to IL, I was finally able to stay home! It was a huge time of learning for me. I became involved in MOPS as soon as I moved there. I could not get enough of that daily mom interaction. I had friends who really helped me learn and cope with staying home. It was definitely a lifestyle to get used to. Staying home was drastically different. I remembered hearing other moms talk about the "trapped" feeling home with a cranky baby all day. Now, Katie Beth was hardly cranky. But, with her being two, I definitely still had a demanding boss. God really grew my patience during this time! :) I remember during one particularly challenging day, I for a split second thought that I would have rather been at work teaching. But, then I heard God say, "Really?" I thought for a minute about all of the days of teaching, how I missed Katie Beth, and I reflected on what a blessing it had been to be at home. I came to the realization that my worst day at home was still better than my best day at work. I was so glad to be home.

Before too long, I was pregnant with Everett. I was so grateful to not be working! I was so sick! Being home was much more convenient except trying to keep Katie Beth entertained in bed beside me. Home with two was a much bigger challenge, but one we all adjusted to.

Moving to TN was great as we were closer to family. I didn't get involved with MOPS as I just felt so overwhelmed. But the kids were both in MDO one day a week (Katie Beth two), and I had time for myself and time to share with them. It felt much more balanced.

The things I really appreciated about being able to be home was that I was able to really serve my family. I really tried, although it didn't always happen, to have the house cleaned, laundry done, and a semi-decent meal cooked by the time Jason got home. It was so nice to spend our time in the afternoons and evenings just playing with the kids instead of having to deal with bills or cleaning or STUFF. I also was able to get all the grocery shopping, errand running, etc done during the week which left our weekends free. This was great for our family. It made our time together quality time and strengthened us all. I loved getting to exercise and see friends regularly as well. I also feel I really grew spiritually - as a mother and a woman!

I think the most challenging part about being home for me was at times feeling like nothing I did was going to last. I would work all day long to get laundry, meals, cleaning, etc done and at the end of the day, there was always more to do. Preparing, serving, and cleaning up after three meals a day kept me feeling like I was in the kitchen. Especially with a toddler who lets you know he's finished by throwing food - you have to be fast with him! And, there were days when I missed using my brain - or those analytical parts that don't get used as much. I would do math puzzles or suduko or IQ tests just to try to keep it exercised! I remember missing wearing cute clothes and going to work. Finances were stricter too. BUT, all of these things were minor struggles. There were times I got frustrated, but for the majority of the time, I loved being home. I really saw that time as a blessing. A huge one!

No comments: